Connect with us

Abroad

Citizens teargassed by Police in Sudan For Protesting Against Bad Economy

Published

on

Sudanese police fired teargas on Sunday to disperse angry protests in Khartoum over the country’s worsening economic crisis.

Dozens of demonstrators had blocked 60th Street, a major artery in the east of the capital, setting up barricades and burning tyres to voice their anger at soaring inflation, food shortages and power cuts.

“We can’t find a loaf of bread for breakfast at school,” said Hani Mohamed, a young protester in a high school uniform.

ALSO READ  "I had No Breast-Feeding" James Brown Shares Birth Story As He Celebrates Birthday

Protesters in Khartoum’s sister city Omdurman also blocked a central street by erecting rudimentary barriers made of concrete blocks and used car parts.

Sudan has been reeling from an economic crisis since the ouster of autocrat Omar al-Bashir in April 2019 following mass nationwide protests sparked months earlier by high bread prices.

Soaring inflation, exacerbated by the global coronavirus pandemic, has brought more pain to the country of 40 million, where many are forced to queue for hours for a loaf of bread and endure hours-long power cuts.

ALSO READ  64% of all Covid-19 tests done in 4 States- FG

Inflation reached a whopping 269 percent last month, according to official statistics, and the country is also struggling with some 60 billion US dollars of debt.

Earlier this month, Sudan signed a memorandum of understanding with outgoing US Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin for a bridging loan to clear $1 billion of arrears to the World Bank.

It also signed another $1 billion agreement with the US Export and Import Bank.

ALSO READ  Adesua Etomi And Banky W Welcomes New Baby

Last week, Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok’s fragile, transitional civilian-majority government approved its first budget since being removed from a US blacklist last year to help rebuild the beleaguered economy.

[AFP]

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Abroad

France Sets To Change Sexual Consent To 15 Years

Published

on

France Sets To Change Sexual Consent To 15 Years

The French government has set up plans to change the age of sexual consent at 15 and make it easier to punish long-ago child sexual abuse.

The move has long been supported by victims of sexual abuse and child protection activists pushed for tougher laws and greater societal recognition of the problem of sexual abuse and this new development has been welcomed by them.

The Justice Ministry said systematic sexual abuse is “intolerable”, adding that “the government is determined to act quickly to implement the changes that our society expects.”

ALSO READ  "I had No Breast-Feeding" James Brown Shares Birth Story As He Celebrates Birthday

“An act of sexual penetration by an adult on a minor under 15 will be considered a rape,” Justice Minister Eric Dupond-Moretti said Tuesday, Feb 9, on France-2 television.

Perpetrators could no longer cite consent to diminish the charges, he said, though exceptions would be made for teenagers having consensual sex.

The change still needs to be enshrined in law, but the announcement is a major step.

“It’s very good that there is this revived debate, that there is an idea of a minimum age (of consent),” said Fatima Benomar, whose group Les Effrontees has pushed for stronger laws against sexual abusers. “This will make adults more responsible.”

ALSO READ  Nigerian Army deploy at least 300 female soldiers to battle Kaduna-Abuja highway’s criminals

An effort to set France’s first age of consent three years ago in the wake of the global #MeToo movement failed amid legal complications. But it has gained new momentum since accusations emerged last month of incestuous sexual abuse involving a prominent French political expert, Olivier Duhamel. That unleashed an online #MeTooInceste movement in France that led to tens of thousands of similar testimonies.

The Justice Ministry is in discussions with victims’ groups about toughening punishment of incestuous abuse and extending or abolishing the statute of limitations on sexual violence against children, because it creates such deep trauma that it can take decades for victims to speak out. The law currently allows child victims to file complaints until they are 48.

ALSO READ  APC set to conduct National Convention, Admist Rising Covid19 Cases

The ministry also says it wants “to ensure that victims of the same perpetrator do not receive different legal treatment,” which could broaden the scope to prosecute those accused of abusing multiple people over decades.

Continue Reading

Abroad

Angola Decriminalizes Same-Sex Relationships As New Law Takes Effect

Published

on

Angola Decriminalizes Same-Sex Relationships As New Law Takes Effect

A new law decriminalizing same-sex sexual relations has gone into effect in Angola.

A new law decriminalizing same-sex sexual relations went into effect Wednesday, Feb 10, in Angola.

The new law overturned a colonial-era “vice against nature” provision that was seen as a ban on homosexual relations.

ALSO READ  Nigerian Army deploy at least 300 female soldiers to battle Kaduna-Abuja highway’s criminals

The changes were passed in January 2019 by Angola’s parliament, but was not signed into law by the country’s president until November 2020. It went into effect on Feb 10, 2021.

The new law also prohibits discrimination based upon a person’s sexual orientation.

ALSO READ  64% of all Covid-19 tests done in 4 States- FG

The changes came from the first rewriting of the country’s penal code since gaining independence in 1975. Angola had previously been a colony of Portugal, and the amended laws had been a remnant of the colonial-era rule that encouraged discrimination against the LGBTQ+ community.

ALSO READ  Muslims celebrates Christmas at Church in Nasarawa

According to Human Rights Watch, the previous laws on same-sex sexual relations had been rarely prosecuted, but served as a basis for undue scrutiny and discrimination. The new law includes imprisonment of up to two years for discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Continue Reading

Abroad

Orthodox Church Under Pressure As Six-week-old Baby Dies During Baptism

Published

on

Romania Orthodox Church

The Romania Orthodox Church is facing growing pressure to change baptism rituals style after a  six-week-old baby died following a ceremony earlier this week.


The baby boy reportedly suffered a cardiac arrest during the Baptism on Monday and was rushed to hospital but died a few hours later, with autopsy revealing liquid in his lungs. 

ALSO READ  Lagos State Government Demolishes Unapproved Building In The State

Prosecutors have now opened a manslaughter investigation against the priest in the north-eastern city of Suceava.

An online petition calling for changes to the ritual had gathered more than 56,000 signatures by Thursday evening.

“The death of a newborn baby because of this practice is a huge tragedy,” said a message with the petition. “This risk must be ruled out for the joy of baptism to triumph.”

ALSO READ  Nigerian Army deploy at least 300 female soldiers to battle Kaduna-Abuja highway’s criminals

Due to several similar incidents in recent years, Church spokesman, Vasile Banescu had suggested that priests pour a little water on the baby’s forehead instead of immersing infants three times in holy water. But Archbishop Teodosie, leader of the Church’s traditionalist wing, said the ritual would not change.

ALSO READ  64% of all Covid-19 tests done in 4 States- FG

More than 80% of Romanians are Orthodox and the Church is one of the most trusted institutions, according to recent opinion polls.

Continue Reading

Abroad

Trump Hires New Defence Team Ahead Of Impeachment trial

Published

on

trump

Former U.S. president Donald Trump has hired a new defence team shortly before his second impeachment trial is due to start.

The defence will be led by David Schoen and Bruce Castor, Trump’s office said late on Sunday.

Broadcaster CNN had reported earlier that Trump’s initial defence team of five lawyers would not be representing the Republican after all, citing differences over his legal strategy.

ALSO READ  APC set to conduct National Convention, Admist Rising Covid19 Cases

CNN cited sources as saying Trump wanted the attorneys to pursue unsubstantiated allegations of electoral fraud instead of questioning the legitimacy of impeachment proceedings against a president who has already left office.

The attorneys had so far not received any advance payments, and no letter of intent was ever signed, according to CNN.

The announcement from Trump’s office said that Schoen and Castor agree that the trial against Trump is unconstitutional.

A large majority of Republicans in the Senate also recently took this view.

ALSO READ  Muslims celebrates Christmas at Church in Nasarawa

Trump is facing an unprecedented second impeachment trial over the deadly storming of the Capitol building on Jan. 6.

Lawmakers have accused Trump of inciting an insurrection after a violent mob of his supporters attacked the Congress building following one of his rallies, leading to the deaths of five people.

ALSO READ  Nigerian Army deploy at least 300 female soldiers to battle Kaduna-Abuja highway’s criminals

The trial, which is similar to a court proceeding with the senators functioning as jurors, is set to begin during the week of Feb. 8.

A two-thirds majority is needed to obtain a conviction in the Senate and subsequently bar Trump from running for office again. (dpa/NAN)

Continue Reading

Abroad

5,000 Artefacts Retrieved From US, says Egypt

Published

on

Egypt announced Wednesday that it had retrieved some 5,000 ancient items from the United States, after years of negotiations to return what it said were fraudulently acquired items.

In a statement, the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities confirmed the “arrival at Cairo airport of a large number of ancient Egyptian items which had been in the possession of the Museum of the Bible in Washington”.

The items, totalling nearly 5,000, mainly consisted of manuscripts, but also included funeral masks, parts of coffins and the heads of stone statues, said Chaabane Abdeljawad, an official quoted in the statement.

ALSO READ  Nigeria's External Reserves Hit $36.39bn On Improved Crude Oil Price

The items, which left Egypt in a fraudulent manner, would be placed in the Coptic Museum in Cairo, the statement added.

It was not clear how the items left Egypt illegally or ended up at the museum in Washington, but Egyptian authorities negotiated their return over several years.

Many treasured items were damaged, destroyed or illegally whisked out of the country during the popular uprising against former president Hosni Mubarak in 2011.

ALSO READ  "I had No Breast-Feeding" James Brown Shares Birth Story As He Celebrates Birthday
Continue Reading

Get The Most Interesting Post

Subscribe to notifications

ADVERTISEMENT

GET OUR UPDATES ON Facebook

PICKED FOR YOU TO READ

Most Read Reports