Connect with us

Politics

INEC to introduce new technologies ahead of 2023 Election

Published

on

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) on Tuesday said it was reviewing its adopted technologies for elections, with the view of introducing new ones to improve conduct of the elections ahead of 2023.

The INEC Director of Voter Education and Publicity Department (VEP), Mr Nick Dazang, disclosed this at a workshop for the department on the “Review of National Voter Education Manual” held in Keffi, Nasarawa State.

ALSO READ:

The five-day workshop is organised by INEC in partnership with the Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD).

Dazang, speaking with newsmen on the sideline of the workshop, said INEC began the process for electronic voting since 2004 when it introduced optic map registration forms.

ALSO READ  #BringBackOurBoys: Shehu Sani reacts to 333 abducted schoolboys in Katsina

“After that in 2010, the commission introduced the use of direct data capture machines, and then expanded the use of the machines in the conduct of the 2011 election.

“So, we have started the process as far back as 2004, culminating in the use of the Smart Card Reader (SCR) and the Permanent Voter Cards (PVCs) that we also used in 2015.

“But the commission is reviewing this process with a view to upgrading and improving the conduct of elections in 2023.

ALSO READ  Lagos bye-elections: Lagos Police exempt WAEC officials, candidates from restriction order

“The commission wants to introduce new technologies that will help deepen the conduct of the elections, and also improve on them. So the commission is working assiduously on that.

“Very soon, when the Commission has taken a position, it will come out and explain to Nigerians how this is going to be done,” Dazang said.

He said that in introducing the new technologies, INEC would revisit the use of card readers and likely to introduce other technologies that will work seamlessly with electronic voting in 2023.

ALSO READ  Abductions: Buhari govt responded better than Jonathan’s, says Femi Adesina

“The commission has been working on that in the past few months and God’s willing in the next few months the commission will make its position known to the public.”

He said that INEC would continue to introduce new technologies to the electoral system, not for the fancy of it, but the technologies that worked.

He noted that the commission had no regrets on the technologies it had so far introduced for the conduct of elections in Nigeria as they had helped in deepening the process and the transparency.

Politics

DSS Denies ‘Arreseting Or Inviting’ Kano Governor’s Aide Salihu Tanko Yakasai

Published

on

Salihu Tanko Yakasai

The Department of State Security (DSS) has denied reports of arresting or even inviting the former Special Aide to Governor Ganduje, Salihu Tanko Yakasai over his comments against the government of President Buhari and the ruling APC.

Bubble Reports earlier reported that Salihu Tanko-Yakasai, on Friday, February 26, via his Twitter handle, called on the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government to either deal with bandits in the Country or resign from office. He stated this on Twitter while reacting to the abduction of 317 schoolgirls in Zamfara.

ALSO READ  We will exit recession early in 2021, says Ahmad Lawan

Shortly after tweeting, his whereabouts became unknown, causing many of his friends to come on Twitter to demand answers.

This morning, one of the aides of the Kano state governor who handles the official handle of the state, Abubakar Sadiq, disclosed on Twitter, that Tanko-Yakassai was with the DSS.

ALSO READ  Presidential Aspirant, Yul Edochie Task Youths To Join In Struggle For A Better Nigeria

The DSS has however denied this claim, saying it did not arrest or even invite Salihu.

The DSS State Director Muhammad Alhassan, who denied the reports, said

”The DSS State Director Muhammad Alhassan said that, “we have not arrested or even invited Yakasai. don’t forget he is our friend, sometimes, he advise us on issues of critical Security situations in the state”.

Continue Reading

Politics

‘I Never Collected Salary For 8 Years As Governor Of Osun’- Rauf Aregbesola

Published

on

Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola

The Minister of Interior and former governor of Osun State, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, has revealed that he never collected any salary all through his eight years in office as governor of Osun state.

Aregbesola who is currently serving as Nigeria’s Minister of Interior Affairs, stated this while dismissing reports published by online that he received 96-month salary arrears in secret when he served as the governor of Osun state. 

ALSO READ  We will exit recession early in 2021, says Ahmad Lawan

A statement from Aregbesola’s media aide, Sola Fasure, described the report as a fiction written by elements bent on casting “aspersion on the integrity of Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola”

“The report is entirely a piece of fiction, a good exemplar of fake news and disreputable journalism. Let me state categorically again, that Ogbeni Aregbesola did not receive any salary in the entire duration of his eight-year stint as governor in Osun.

His reason being that the state government provided accommodation, security, transportation, food and other conveniences for him and would not need to pay for these from his pocket.

He also explained that all his children are grown up and have graduated and he would not need to pay school fees again. He therefore donated his salaries to the state government.

The author of the report claims to have got the information from some anonymous government officials. He provides no evidence.

The report fails basic journalistic ethical requirement that only truth and verifiable fact should be reported as news. Reading through it, one is not in doubt that the evil intention behind the piece was to smear and cast aspersion on the integrity of Ogbeni Aregbesola.”

Continue Reading

Politics

Governor Ganduje Sacks Adviser Salihu Tanko Yakasai, After He Criticized President Buhari And APC

Published

on

Ganduje

The Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has sacked his Special Adviser on Media, Salihu Tanko Yakasai.

The state Commissioner for Information, Muhammad Garba, in a statement on Saturday, February 27, said the sacking followed Salihu’s “continued unguarded comments and utterances which are deemed contrary to the stand of the All Progressive Congress, APC, government which he is serving”.

ALSO READ  Abductions: Buhari govt responded better than Jonathan’s, says Femi Adesina

Garba added that Salihu had failed to differentiate between personal opinion and official stand on matters of public concern and therefore cannot be allowed to continue to serve in a government he does not believe in.

The governor via the statement warned political appointees and public servants to guard against making statements capable of drawing superfluous controversy.

ALSO READ  Presidency Should Be Zoned To The South In 2023 - Governor Ganduje

The statement reaffirmed the commitment of Governor Ganduje to the policies and programs of the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari.

Salihu while reacting to the abduction of the Zamfara schoolgirls, asked the President Buhari-led administration to stop the insecurity or resign from office.

ALSO READ  Buhari salutes 20 Doctors killed by C0VID-19
Continue Reading

Politics

Oby Ezekwesili Demands For Indepent Medical Evaluation Of President Buhari’s Physical and Mental Capacity To Govern Nigeria

Published

on

Oby EZEKWESILI and Buhari

Former Minister of Education and Presidential Candidate, Oby Ezekwesili, has demanded for an independent medical evaluation of President Buhari’s physical and mental capacity to govern Nigeria.

She made this demand while reacting to the abduction of 317 students from the Government Girls Secondary School GSSS Jangena, Zamfara state.

She tweeted;

”Yesterday I woke to the news of the abduction of over 300 school girls from GSSS Zamfara and the deepest pain hit me into a clamp-up. I rejected requests from @cnni, @BBCAfrica, @channelstv, @ARISEtv etc to be interviewed. What have I not already said these 7 years in Nigeria?

This morning in my personal prayer, I cried out to God, “Was this not why You asked me to STAND for Chibokgirls 7 years ago and give my ALL to their cause?” “Was it not to get @NigeriaGov  to ACT DECISIVELY and forbid abomination from becoming the NORM in our Land, Lord?”

The abduction of 219 #ChibokGirls in 2014 was an ABOMINATION in our Land. What did we not do over the cause of 2 different Administrations to demand Justice for them so it NEVER REPEATS? Two Administrations egged on by their admirers failed to hear us and ACT DECISIVELY.

With 112 remaining #ChibokGirls FAILED by @NigeriaGov, 110 #DapchiGirls happened and #LeahSharibu remains unaccounted for. With #LeahSharibu abandoned, 334 #KankaraBoys happened, then 41 #KagaraStudents and now 317 #JangebeGirls yesterday. Abomination has become a Norm.

When KagaraBoys happened, outraged, I made the strongest possible DEMAND a citizen can regarding the failed leadership of @NGRPresident

@MBuhari. I wrote: Nigerians should collectively ask for an Independent Medical Evaluation of @MBuhari . Nothing else makes sense now.

It is NOT NORMAL for a Leader of a country to be carrying on unperturbed while SERIAL ABNORMALITIES occur all around him. There’s NOTHING NORMAL about the nonplussed manner @MBuharisits in Aso Rock uncaring that Nigeria is falling apart. Nigerians better WAKE UP to this.

My DEMAND goes beyond asking @NigeriaGov of @MBuhari to #BringBackJangebeGirls. My DEMAND goes beyond asking Justice of Rescue for our schoolgirls. My DEMAND is to commence the process for an Independent Medical Evaluation of @MBuhari ‘s Physical and Mental Capacity to govern”

ALSO READ  Pete Edochie Endorses Son, Yul, For 2023 Presidential Race
Continue Reading

News

DSS Arrests Kano Governor’s Aide After He Asked Buhari To Resign

Published

on

Salihu Tanko Yakasai

The Special Adviser on Media to the Kano State governor was reportedly arrested by the Department of State Services’ operatives.

Bubble Reports reported yesterday that Salihu Tanko-Yakasai called on the President Buhari-led government to either deal with bandits in the country or resign.

Salihu Tanko-Yakasai was arrested hours after he gave his comment while reacting to the abduction of 317 students of Government Girls Secondary School, Jangebe in Talata Mafara Local Government Area of Zamfara State on Friday, February 28, Salihu had tweeted;

“Clearly, we as APC government, at all levels, have failed Nigerians in the number 1 duty we were elected to do which is to secure lives & properties. Not a single day goes by without some insecurity in this land. This is a shame! Deal with terrorists decisively or resign.”

Hours after his tweet, his whereabouts were unknown as many on Twitter asked questions.

ALSO READ  Presidency Should Be Zoned To The South In 2023 - Governor Ganduje

However, Abubakar Sadiq who is the handler of the Twitter handle and official website of the Kano state government, in a tweet posted on Saturday morning, February 27, disclosed that Salihu is with the DSS.

The DSS is yet to confirm or deny his arrest.

ALSO READ  VOTER'S REGISTRATION: INEC Warns Against Fake News
Continue Reading

Search Google

ADVERTISEMENT

GET OUR UPDATES ON Facebook

PICKED FOR YOU TO READ

Follow

Subscribe to notifications

Most Read Reports