Connect with us

Covid-19

JUST IN: Major Fire at India’s COVID-19 vaccine factory

Published

on

Fire-at-Oxford-AstraZeneca-COVID-19-vaccine-factory-

 A major fire broke out on Thursday, at a factory belonging to Serum Institute of India (SII), in the Indian city of Pune.

Five persons were found dead due to the inferno.

The factory is said to be producing millions of doses of the Covishield Covid vaccine, developed by AstraZeneca and Oxford University.

The fire occurred at a building that is under construction. A few persons trapped in the building were rescued.

ALSO READ  New Cases Rises As Nigeria Records High COVID-19 Cases In A Day

“We have just received some distressing updates; upon further investigation we have learnt that there has unfortunately been some loss of life at the incident.

“We are deeply saddened and offer our deepest condolences to the family members of the departed,” Serum CEO Adar Poonawalla tweeted.

He said the company plans to manufacture one billion doses of COVID-19 vaccines in the coming year.

ALSO READ  ASUU to resume strike by February 2021, NASU threatens to go on strike over ₦40bn allowances

According to reports, it took around three hours for firemen to bring the blaze under control. The cause of the fire is still not known, according to a fire officer.

A source at the institute has confirmed that the production of the Coronavirus jabs will not be affected, but the company has declined to comment.

The fire started in the afternoon in the Manjari area of the SII campus, Pune’s chief fire officer, Prashant Ranpise said, adding that 15 fire fighters had been deployed to the scene.

ALSO READ  COVID-19: 'Nigeria Professional Football League must test Players before every match'-NFF

Ranpise said three people had so far been rescued from the building.

“Our teams are checking if any more persons are stuck.

“We do not know what caused the fire or the extent of damages yet,’’ he added.

Covid-19

2.3 Million Nigerians Registered For COVID-19 Vaccination Under 24 Hours

Published

on

corona virus Vaccine

The National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA) has disclosed that 2.3m Nigerians registered for COVID-19 vaccination under less than 24 hours after it announced the launch of a portal for registration for getting vaccinated.

The Executive Director of NPHCDA, Faisal Shuaib disclosed that there is enthusiasm in Nigeria over Monday’s arrival of 4m doses of AstraZeneca COVID-19 jabs in an interview on Channels TV.

ALSO READ  NBC Bans Ric Hassani's 'Thunder Fire You', Fines Radio Stations That Plays It

Shuaib said; 

“I can tell you that there is a lot of excitement [about the vaccine arrival]. I know some people have their concerns and we are trying but I want to give you an example of the enthusiasm that Nigerians are showing around wanting to take these vaccines. 

“Around midday on Monday when we launched the e-registration platform, in less than 24 hours, we already had up to 2.3m Nigerians who had registered. And that number continues to increase.” 

He added that the first batch of vaccines is a major boost in Nigeria’s fight against the disease which has been contracted by over 150,000 people in the nation

ALSO READ  Third Mainland Bridge To Be Opened Today

Shuaib added; 

“So, we take that very seriously and this is why we are going to be working very hard.

“Yes, the vaccines are here, but there is even harder work that needs to go on to make sure that we deliver the vaccines into the arms of Nigerians in a way that is respectful, in a way that is stress-free.”

Continue Reading

Covid-19

Buhari, Osinbajo, Others To Recieve COVID-19 Vaccine On Saturday

Published

on

bUHARI AND OSINBAJO

President Muhammadu Buhari, Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), Boss Mustapha and other executive Nigerians would recieve the COVID-19 vaccine on live television on Saturday March 6.

The disclosure was made by the Executive Director/CEO, National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), Dr Faisal Shuaib on Monday March 1 at the joint national briefing of the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19, ahead of the arrival of Oxford-AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine in the country on Tuesday March 2.

ALSO READ  COVID-19 second wave: FCT gives fresh guidelines for religious centres, others

Shuaib said prominent Nigerians will be among the first set of Nigerians to receive the vaccine to drive awareness on the virus and the vaccine administration in the country when it finally arrives.

He urged Nigerians not to be hesitant about the vaccines when they arrive.

ALSO READ  Schools Remain Closed In Kaduna Despite Federal Government Approval For Reopening of Schools
Continue Reading

Covid-19

‘Nigeria To Escape Second Wave Of COVID-19 Soon- Dr. Ehanire Osagie

Published

on

Dr.-Osagie-Ehanire

Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Dr. Ehanire Osagie has said that the country might soon exit the second wave of the COVID-19 virus.

Dr. Osagie spoke at a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Monday February 22.

He said the country has been recording a decline in the number of COVID-19 cases.

The Minister also disclosed that the decreased positivity rate from sustained testing in states, is synonymous with global trends.

He said; 

“This trend in reduction compares with global observations of seeming decline in COVID-19 cases, signifying that the second wave may be receding.

ALSO READ  COVID-19: New variant of virus found in Nigeria

“On 21st of February 2021, 521 new infections and 8 deaths occurred in 20 states. The sustained testing in states has decreased positively rate.

“We are, however, not drawing conclusions yet and certainly not declaring victory, but rather watching developments as they unfold nationally and internationally, ready to make use of comparative advantages that may emerge.”

ALSO READ  Trump finally signs $900B COVID-19 Relief Package

On the outbreak of the Ebola virus disease in Guinea, Osagie said the Nigerian government is closely monitoring the situation and also collaborating with the West African Health Organization (WAHO).

He added; 

“Nigeria is closely observing developments on the outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Guinea and working with West African Health Organization (WAHO) to contain it in the outbreak country of Guinea and prevent the spread to other countries in the region.

“We are pleased to note that the ECOWAS countries adjacent to the epicenter are taking strict measures with regard checking movement of persons.”

The Minister stated that though Nigeria has been classified as a moderate Ebola risk country because of its distance from Guinea, Port Health Service officers have been on high alert to step up border surveillance of travellers arriving by air or overland from destinations around the outbreak country  to avert disease importation.

ALSO READ  COVID-19: After Sanwo-Olu,El-Rufai goes into self-isolation
Continue Reading

Covid-19

Nigeria Records 521 New COVID-19 Cases In A Day

Published

on

nIGERIA covid-19 cases today

521 new cases of COVID-19 were recorded by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, on Sunday 21st of January.

NCDC made this know during their daily COVID-19 report in the country.

Lagos had the highest number of cases for the day with 166 new cases.

ALSO READ  Schools Remain Closed In Kaduna Despite Federal Government Approval For Reopening of Schools

Ogun came distant second with 52 new cases, Rivers had the third highest cases with 47 new cases.

Adamawa and Ebonyi both had 37 new cases for the day.

Here is a breakdown of the cases:

Lagos-166
Ogun-52
Rivers-47
Adamawa-37
Ebonyi-37
Akwa Ibom-25
Osun-21
Bayelsa-18
Kaduna-17
Oyo-16
FCT-15
Ekiti-14
Kano-12
Edo-12
Borno-9
Yobe-8
Ondo-6
Nasarawa-4
Bauchi-2
Kwara-3

ALSO READ  New Cases Rises As Nigeria Records High COVID-19 Cases In A Day

As at the time of this report, Nigeria has recorded 152,074 confirmed cases, 128,619 discharged patients and 1,839 deaths so far.

Continue Reading

Covid-19

Biden Set To Announce $4 billion Donation For COVID-19 Vaccines To Poor Countries

Published

on

JOE BIDEN

The President of the United States, Joe Biden is expected to announce on today, Friday that the United States will make first contribution of  $2 billion to a United Nations backed program seeking to distribute COVID-19 vaccine doses to people in the poorest countries in the world, according to senior Biden administration officials.

ALSO READ  COVID-19: New variant of virus found in Nigeria

ABC News reported that Congress had already allocated the money in December for the U.S. Agency for International Development to provide to Gavi, an international vaccine distribution alliance. The congress provided a total of $4 billion and officials said that the U.S. would give the rest to Gavi over the course of this year and 2022.

ALSO READ  COVID-19: 'Nigeria Professional Football League must test Players before every match'-NFF

President Biden intends to announce during a virtual meeting of the Group of Seven leaders.

To date, 10 countries have administered 75% of all COVID-19 vaccines, while more than 130 countries have not yet received a single dose, the United Nations said Wednesday.

ALSO READ  COVID-19 second wave: FCT gives fresh guidelines for religious centres, others

The United States has so far purchased 600 million vaccine doses, but it does not intend to give any of them to other countries until “there is sufficient supply in the United States.”

Continue Reading

Get The Most Interesting Post

Subscribe to notifications

ADVERTISEMENT

GET OUR UPDATES ON Facebook

PICKED FOR YOU TO READ

Most Read Reports