Connect with us

Football

Neymar Says Nike Claim Of Split Over Sex Assault Probe A ‘Lie’

Published

on

Inform Others

Neymar said Friday Nike’s claim that it parted ways with him last year because he refused to cooperate with its internal investigation into an employee’s accusation he sexually assaulted her was an “absurd lie.”

The allegation is the latest to stain the image of the Brazilian superstar, whose 222-million-euro ($270 million) transfer from Barcelona to Paris Saint-Germain in 2017 makes him the world’s most expensive footballer.

Nike said Thursday it had ended its sponsorship deal with Neymar over an employee’s claim he tried to force himself on her and his failure to cooperate with its investigation.

“(To) state that my contract (with Nike) was terminated because I did not contribute in good faith to an investigation is an absurd lie,” Neymar wrote on Instagram.

“I was not given the opportunity to defend myself. I was not given the opportunity to know who this person was that was allegedly offended. I don’t even know her. I’ve never had any kind of relationship or approach with this person.”

ALSO READ  Messi breaks Pele's record

Nike said the alleged assault happened in 2016, but was only reported to the company in 2018.

The US sportswear giant had sponsored Neymar, 29, since he was a 13-year-old prodigy.

It did not give a reason when it terminated its deal with him in August 2020.

The superstar is now a poster boy for Puma. His deal with the German sportswear giant was announced in September 2020.

‘They did nothing’

The Nike employee accused Neymar of trying to force her to perform oral sex on him in a New York hotel room during a promotional trip for a new line of sneakers, according to the Wall Street Journal, which first broke the story.

Neymar denied the accusation, and said Nike had nevertheless continued sending him on promotional tours.

“In 2017 I traveled again to the USA for another advertising campaign, with the same people, and nothing was told to me, nothing changed!” he wrote.

ALSO READ  See Top 10 List Of Highest Paid Athletes In 2021

“In 2017, 2018, 2019 we made trips, advertising campaigns, countless shooting sections. And they told me nothing. Such a serious matter and they did nothing.”

In a previous statement, a Neymar spokeswoman said he and Nike had split for commercial reasons.

The player’s father accused the company of “blackmail.”

“It’s all very strange” that the accusation only came to light years later, after Neymar left Nike, he told Brazilian newspaper Folha de Sao Paulo.

Tarnished star

Nike said in a statement it was prepared to investigate in 2018 when the woman first came forward, but “respected the employee’s initial desire to keep this matter confidential and avoid an investigation.”

The firm therefore did not go further until 2019, when she expressed an interest in pursuing the matter, it said.

That was the same year another woman filed a rape complaint against Neymar in his native Brazil.

ALSO READ  Nike Splits With Neymar Over Refusal To Cooperate With Sex Assault Probe

He vehemently denied that accusation, and the case was eventually dropped.

Neymar is currently in Brazil training with the national team north of Rio de Janeiro ahead of two upcoming World Cup qualifiers.

The superstar seemed “normal, the same as always,” teammate Emerson told a news conference.

Neymar extended his contract with French champions PSG earlier this month, through the 2024-2025 season.

With his on-pitch exploits and huge following on social media, Neymar is one of the biggest names in sports.

But his shine has often been tarnished.

His image as an eternal spoiled child was revived late last year by rumors of a huge year-end party he organized in Brazil in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

He has also raised eyebrows with his alleged diving, hard-partying lifestyle, and love of bling, which critics say contrasts with the relative lack of it in his trophy case.


Inform Others

Editor's Picks For You

Advertisement
Comments
Advertisement

PICKED FOR YOU TO READ

News4 months ago

Diezani Forfeited Jewellery Worth N14.4bn, Houses Valued At $80m – EFCC

Inform OthersThe Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Abdulrasheed Bawa has disclosed that the jewellery forfeited by...

Abroad4 months ago

Obama Hails Rashford For Child Food Poverty Campaign

Inform OthersFormer US president Barack Obama has spoken with Manchester United forward and campaigner Marcus Rashford, praising him for the...

News4 months ago

UN Body To Investigate Israel-Gaza Violence

Inform OthersThe UN Human Rights Council has voted to investigate violence in the recent conflict between Israel and Hamas. The...

News4 months ago

One In Three Nigerian Girls Are Sexually Abused – UNICEF

Inform OthersThe United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) has said that this year’s Children’s Day comes at a challenging moment as...

News4 months ago

Buhari Appoints New Chief Of Army Staff, Major-General Yahaya

Inform OthersPresident Muhammadu Buhari has appointed Major-General Farouk Yahaya as the new Chief of Army Staff. This is according to...

News4 months ago

Nine Suspected Cultists Nabbed During Supremacy Battle In Ogun

Inform OthersNine suspected cultists have been arrested during what the police say was a supremacy battle in the Ajegunle area...

News4 months ago

Morocco Lawmakers A Step Closer To Legalising Medical Use Of Cannabis

Inform OthersMoroccan lawmakers on Wednesday approved a law legalising the therapeutic use of cannabis, bringing one of the world’s biggest...

News5 months ago

Fear Of Military Coup Grips Mali As Army Detains President, Prime Minister

Inform OthersThe fear of a possible military coup has gripped Mali after the military detained the President and Prime Minister...

News5 months ago

CBN Retains Monetary Policy Rates At 11.5%

Inform OthersThe Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has again voted to retain the monetary...

Insecurity5 months ago

Banditry: 16 People Killed In Fresh Attacks On Plateau Villages

Inform OthersSixteen persons have been reported killed in two separate attacks in Jos North and Riyom Local Government Areas of...

Advertisement
Advertisement

GET OUR UPDATES ON Facebook

Advertisement
You cannot copy content of this page