The Governor of Lagos State, Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Sunday vowed to jail violators of COVID-19 protocols in the state for six months as the virus peaks in Lagos.
Lagos recorded over 1,040 cases on Saturday, the highest single day infections since the pandemic broke out in February 2020.
The governor, in a statement, complained that many people were still violating the COVID-19 protocols and vowed to act immediately.
“The State Government has observed with dismay the widespread flagrant disregard and non-adherence to guidelines and protocols aimed at stemming and curbing the tide of infection.
“We particularly note that some event centers have been operating their premises outside the acceptable parameters for operation/usage and continue to be recalcitrant in this regard.
“This is to sound a very serious note of warning that henceforth all those found culpable and in breach of the existing regulations and guidelines would be swiftly and decisively dealt with in full accordance with the provisions of the law,” he said.
“Furthermore, and in line with the COVID-19 Health Protection Regulations 2021 signed last week by President Muhammadu Buhari, it is hereby directed that no gathering of more than 50 persons shall hold in an enclosed space, except for religious purposes, in which case the gathering shall not exceed 50% capacity of the space.
“A breach of the provisions of the Presidential Regulations attracts upon summary conviction, a fine or six months imprisonment and or both. Our enforcement agencies have been appropriately tasked to ensure maximum compliance.
“All Lagosians are enjoined to continue to observe all laid down guidelines and protocols issued by both the state and federal governments for the effective containment and treatment of the novel corona virus disease,” he added.
Sanwo-Olu also reiterated that oxygen is free at all Lagos State-owned COVID-19 treatment centres, wmphasising that the state government did not charge for the use of oxygen in its centres.
He said considering that oxygen demand has spiked to between 300 and 400 cylinders per day across state-owned treatment facilities, the government was working hard to ensure that availability and supply were very easily able to meet and even surpass this demand.
“To this end, a second oxygen plant is under construction at the Gbagada General Hospital, and will come on-stream within the next seven days. It is expected that this will boost the in-house capacity and availability of oxygen across all State Government managed treatment centers,” he said.
‘Nigeria To Escape Second Wave Of COVID-19 Soon- Dr. Ehanire Osagie
Nigeria’s Minister of Health, Dr. Ehanire Osagie has said that the country might soon exit the second wave of the COVID-19 virus.
Dr. Osagie spoke at a briefing by the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 on Monday February 22.
He said the country has been recording a decline in the number of COVID-19 cases.
The Minister also disclosed that the decreased positivity rate from sustained testing in states, is synonymous with global trends.
“This trend in reduction compares with global observations of seeming decline in COVID-19 cases, signifying that the second wave may be receding.
“On 21st of February 2021, 521 new infections and 8 deaths occurred in 20 states. The sustained testing in states has decreased positively rate.
“We are, however, not drawing conclusions yet and certainly not declaring victory, but rather watching developments as they unfold nationally and internationally, ready to make use of comparative advantages that may emerge.”
On the outbreak of the Ebola virus disease in Guinea, Osagie said the Nigerian government is closely monitoring the situation and also collaborating with the West African Health Organization (WAHO).
“Nigeria is closely observing developments on the outbreak of Ebola virus disease in Guinea and working with West African Health Organization (WAHO) to contain it in the outbreak country of Guinea and prevent the spread to other countries in the region.
“We are pleased to note that the ECOWAS countries adjacent to the epicenter are taking strict measures with regard checking movement of persons.”
The Minister stated that though Nigeria has been classified as a moderate Ebola risk country because of its distance from Guinea, Port Health Service officers have been on high alert to step up border surveillance of travellers arriving by air or overland from destinations around the outbreak country to avert disease importation.
Nigeria Records 521 New COVID-19 Cases In A Day
521 new cases of COVID-19 were recorded by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, on Sunday 21st of January.
NCDC made this know during their daily COVID-19 report in the country.
Lagos had the highest number of cases for the day with 166 new cases.
Ogun came distant second with 52 new cases, Rivers had the third highest cases with 47 new cases.
Adamawa and Ebonyi both had 37 new cases for the day.
Here is a breakdown of the cases:
Biden Set To Announce $4 billion Donation For COVID-19 Vaccines To Poor Countries
The President of the United States, Joe Biden is expected to announce on today, Friday that the United States will make first contribution of $2 billion to a United Nations backed program seeking to distribute COVID-19 vaccine doses to people in the poorest countries in the world, according to senior Biden administration officials.
ABC News reported that Congress had already allocated the money in December for the U.S. Agency for International Development to provide to Gavi, an international vaccine distribution alliance. The congress provided a total of $4 billion and officials said that the U.S. would give the rest to Gavi over the course of this year and 2022.
President Biden intends to announce during a virtual meeting of the Group of Seven leaders.
To date, 10 countries have administered 75% of all COVID-19 vaccines, while more than 130 countries have not yet received a single dose, the United Nations said Wednesday.
The United States has so far purchased 600 million vaccine doses, but it does not intend to give any of them to other countries until “there is sufficient supply in the United States.”
‘Using COVID-19 Vaccines Carry Certain Amount Of risks’ – Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire
The Minister of Health, Osagie Ehanire, has told Nigerians that the COVID-19 vaccines carry a certain amount of risk when used.
The World Health Organization (WHO), on the 11th of February a released a document detailing the use and risks associated with the AstraZeneca vaccine. According to the Health organization, people with a history of severe allergic reaction to any component of the vaccine should not take it,” and it is also not recommended for persons younger than 18 years “pending the results of further studies”.
Ehanire at the press briefing by the presidential task force (PTF) on COVID-19 on Monday, February 15, said arrangements have been made for effective distribution of the vaccines that are expected to arrive Nigeria by the end of February.
“It is important to stress that all COVID-19 vaccines carry a certain amount of risk, and any vaccine not approved by the federal ministry of health through its agencies cannot be used in Nigeria.
“The government will not be responsible for the safety or efficacy of vaccines given outside the framework of the government. All the needs of Nigeria have been carefully calculated by NPHCDA, and it is possible to accommodate all interests in the framework.
“We have continued to work on the rollout of our COVID-19 vaccines, when they arrive. This morning, I inaugurated the vaccine coordination committee, an inter-ministerial, multi-sectoral committee to address diverse issues peculiar to COVID-19 vaccine acquisition by Nigeria. Their function is to advise on coordinating access to acquisition and distribution of vaccines when available, and on our immunisation strategy.
“The ministry of health also engaged the Africa Vaccine Acquisition Task Team (AVATT), who informed us of the free allocation of 1.4 million doses of AstraZeneca vaccine, of which 500,000 doses are expected by the end of this month, courtesy of MTN donation of seven million doses to Africa. The balance of 900,000 doses for Nigeria is expected by the end of March 2021. Other sources of vaccines are under negotiation.” Ehanire said
The Minister disclosed that the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has received dossiers for vaccines manufactured in Russia, India, and China for evaluation and validation for use in Nigeria, with some of them nearly ready for results.
COVID-19 Cases Reduce In Nigeria As Low Cases Recorded On Monday
574 new CODI-19 cases were recorded on Monday February 16 according to Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC.
NCDC made this known during their daily COVID-19 report in the country.
In the report, Kwara state had the highest number of cases for the day with 98 new cases.
Lagos state which has the total highest COVID-19 cases in the country was close second with 81 new cases.
Others are: Edo- 59, Ondo- 44, FCT- 41, Kano- 34, Ogun- 33, Kaduna- 29, Osun- 28, Enugu- 23, Rivers- 18, Delta-16, Akwa Ibom-15, Bauchi-12, Imo-10, Borno-8, Niger-8, Kebbi-7, Nasarawa-5, Gombe-3, Ekiti-2.
GET OUR UPDATES ON Facebook
PICKED FOR YOU TO READ
‘I Never Collected Salary For 8 Years As Governor Of Osun’- Rauf Aregbesola
The Minister of Interior and former governor of Osun State, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, has revealed that he never collected any...
Governor Ganduje Sacks Adviser Salihu Tanko Yakasai, After He Criticized President Buhari And APC
The Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has sacked his Special Adviser on Media, Salihu Tanko Yakasai. The state...
JUST IN: Abducted Kagara Students Regain Freedom
The kidnapped students and staff of Government Science College Kagara, Niger State have finally regained freedom from the armed bandits...
‘Any Attempt To Arrest Me Would Fail’- Sunday Igboho
Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has said that any attempt by the police, the army...
NBC Bans Ric Hassani’s ‘Thunder Fire You’, Fines Radio Stations That Plays It
Nigerian rising musician, Ric Hassani has revealed the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has placed a ban on his single ‘Thunder Fire You’. ALSO READ:...
Most Read Reports
- Entertainment5 days ago
Ex-Beauty Queen, Sandra Benede Goes Pant-less In New Photo
- News4 days ago
If You Dare Me, I’ll Spill All Your Bad Records” – Bobrisky Drags Nkechi Blessing
- News3 days ago
LAUTECH Reacts To ‘Sex Tape’ Of Its Lecturer Having Sex With A Student
- Entertainment6 days ago
VIDEO: BBNaija’s Ka3na Criticizes Female Fan Who Tattooed Her Name On Her Thigh
- Entertainment2 days ago
Erica Replies Fan Who Asked Her Why She Likes Exposing Her Body